Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
john m flores
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?
In reply to Promit, May 17, 2012

I've got one foot in the Micro Four-Thirds world and one foot in the Pentax world. Until the OM-D, the top M43 body (GH2) lagged behind the the Pentax bodies (K-5, K-01, and even K-x) in terms of ISO and more importantly dynamic range. It was a big noticeable difference I briefly played around with my brother's OM-D and the gap is surely closing.

Regarding lenses, after taking thousands of photos with each of them, I'd rank them as follows:

Primes
1. Pentax DA70/F2.4
1. (tie) Pentax DA35/F2.8 Macro Limited
3. Olympus 45/1.8
3. (tie) Pentax DA21/F3.2
5. Panasonic 20/1.7
6. Super Takumar 50/1.4
7. Pentax M50/1.7
8. Panasonic 14/2.5

I haven't used the PanLeica 25/1.4 or the Olympus 12/2, but I imagine that they are right up there.

Zooms
Pentax DA* 50-135/F2.8
Pentax DA* 16-50/F2.8
Panasonic 100-300/F4.0-5.6
Panasonic 14-140/F4.0-5.8

The Panasonic zooms are optically very good, but slow. The Pentax DA* 50-135 is optically as good as a fistfull of primes. AF is slowish though.

At the end of the day, they are both very good, mature systems. I've have photos published from both and my publisher didn't care what was shot with what. For me, the decision to shoot with one over the other has as much to do with other factors - size, focal lengths and apertures required, AF speed, burst speed, video, weatherproofing, ISO, etc... - as it does IQ.

If you can't take a nice photo with either system, it's probably an operator error, and no amount of 100% crop pixel peeping is going to make you a better photographer.

john m flores
gear - my eye, my mind, my passion
http://whatblogisthis.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow