Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: G2 or G3
In reply to jeffharris, May 17, 2012

jeffharris wrote:

Buzzbard wrote:

After much thought and contemplation, I have decided to sell my dslr equipment and move to the m4/3 system for all the reasons that have no doubt been already mentioned and discussed to death one million times in this forum!

My thought was to buy a relatively cheap older body and, one by one, slowly invest in some decent prime lenses, 12mm, 25mm & 45mm, while waiting for the new arrivals to touch down and be thoroughly tested. I am waivering between the G2 (€400) and G3 (€520), both new and sold with with the kit lens Lumix G Vario 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS. If I can find the G2 or G3 second hand for a much better price then that's fine too.

At the moment I am tending towards the cheaper G2. I like the ergonomics and dial layout of the G2 but am wondering if the newer G3 for €120 more is maybe worth it? I could however put that money towards a new prime?

Any thoughts out there?

I agree about the control layout of the G2 vs. G3. I don't like the feel of the G3. If you prefer the G2, you might even want to try to find a GH1.

Also, have you considered a GH2? The prices have dropped dramatically, it's not that much more than a G3 and it really is better than either of those cameras on many levels. The G3 supposedly has marginally better high ISO performance, but not by much. Contrary to popular myth, the GH2 is an excellent stills camera!

I don't trust in myths

Good advice, better than mine

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow