D800E, 200-400 video - our weather

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
DRGSin
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
Re: D800E, 200-400 video - our weather
In reply to Bill Hollinger, May 17, 2012

THANK YOU! Just as i thought, i have a LOT to learn. Looking forward to it though.

Bill Hollinger wrote:

DRGSin wrote:

Hmmm. up until this point, i had no interest in the video aspect of my D4. your video has changed that. well done! very tranquil. it seems the lens worked well. care to share your workflow? I have no clue as to where Id even start or which video software i would need. thank you!

I started playing with video two or three years ago because it was available in my still camera. At first I used some cheap, smaller cameras and made this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MW55UbkQI

It was fun, but there was clearly a lot to learn, and better quality video cameras available. I ended up buying a Sony EX1R. One thing your D4 has is the ability to shoot a 2.7X crop. This is a big deal if you are shooting nature or sports because it gives you a lot of extra reach. What they do is use the center 1920 x 1080 pixels, so there is no degradation in image quality. My GH2 has this capability too, and with a 300mm lens (comparatively a 600mm on the smaller 2x GH2 sensor) x 2.7x yields the equivalent of a 1560mm lens. You can have lots of fun with this. Here is a sample, https://vimeo.com/23235270

Differences between using still and video: First, you need a video tripod and a good video bowl head. They are different than your photo tripod and heads. When shooting video, you really need to use manual focus and exposure because if the camera is on auto, the exposure and focus will fluctuate during the video, and it is very distracting to watch.

The terminology and software are different from that used for still photography. There are lots of programs, all of which will require a learning curve. I use Macs with Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier and After Effects. LR4 also has some video capability, but I am not sure how well it works.

Video can provide new avenues to tell a story, and can be a lot of fun. You can also use stills (google the Ken Burns effect) very effectively. Typically clips (short segments) should be 5 to maybe 10 or 12 seconds. One of the challenges you’ll face is looking at many clips, choosing one or more short segments from them, and remembering the content while you decide the order in which you want to use them. Typically the quality is better on Vimeo than on Youtube, and your finished video has to be output optimally for both of them to look as good as it can on the web. You can find lots of information on the internet, but this tutorial was made specifically for photographers like you who are curious about exploring the video capabilities of their still cameras. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/tutorials/cinematography_for_photographers.shtml

Oh - one last issue. Your D4 will record 1920 x 1080P video at 30 (actually 29.97) frames per second. Your shutter speed for video should be twice the fps rate, or a 60th of a second in this case. In bright conditions at a 60th, you will need a ND filter to avoid over exposure. The video camera equivalent of your D4 has internal ND filters of varying strengths, but with still cameras, the ND (a good variable ND filter is a good choice) is necessary for daylight filming.

I hope you take the plunge and try your D4 for video!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow