Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Loga
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
First encounter with OM-D E-M5
May 17, 2012

I went to the local Olmypus store, and played with the new E-M5 for a while. My current gear is a Panasonic GF2 with a set of 14, 20 and 45 lenses. I tried the Olympus with its kit zoom, the 45 1.8 and the 20 1.7.

Overall, I think I can say that the chance of buying one decreased very much for me.

But let's start with the good things:

-The cam is INCREDIBLY fast. AF, shutter lag, exposure, overall shooting performance.
-The shutter sound is very muted, quiet. Much-much more quiet than my GF2.

-IQ as far as I see on lcd is very good, and metering and wb - not suprisingly - is also better than my GF2's.

-The body size is smaller than I expected (fits to my current bag with no problem), and also the 12-50 kit lens is smaller.

So what's (or seems to be) the deal breaker?

-The strap lug. Yes, it DOES disturb my finger even if only the triangle left. Yes, with the grip it is better. But come on! I want to use it without the grip as well (which is extra cost anyway).

-The touch screen is very badly implemented, I mean the sensitivity of it! Anyone noticed that yet? When I switch to playback mode, and zoom into the picture, and I want to scroll on it, it lags, or barely responds, or leaps, but it's not comparable with the one on my GF2, which is very smooth and responsive. I'm not sure if it is connected to the SD card fitted (I don't think so), or is there a setup for that (I don't think so either unfortunately). But it was ridiculously bad.

-The EVF is not bad at all, but unsufficient to focusing manually. EVF's picture is simply not big enough to do that, but otherwise it's good.

Other things just like IBIS I couldn't test, but I assume it worked as it has to. The 20mm 1.7 did not focus any faster than it does on my GF2 (and it seemed really slow after the OM-D and 45 1.8 or 12-50 combo)

So my conclusion: it's too bad, that the strap lug irritates my finger and the rear lcd is such unresponsible. User experience is very-very important for me, and these to made it with OM-D very frustraging today.

And at the same time the chance of getting a GX1 or waiting for Panny's announcement increased a lot.

Cheers,

Loga

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow