ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
McGraw
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Possibility of sensor damage by magnets
May 17, 2012

Hi.

Before I elaborate too much, I do know for a fact that some magnets can definitely damage some cameras as I lost a Sony Cybershot to a CRT magnet by leaving it on top of my TV many years ago.

Since then obviously a lot of us have switched to displays without magnets (as have I).

However, I'm still interested to know what precautions we should be taking (if any).

I've recently decided the time is right to get into D-SLR after many years of using the Cybershot and until recently a TZ-1 so have got myself a Canon 600D.

I was lying in bed with my laptop and camera, uploading and tweaking some pics when tiredness overcame me and I shut the laptop and camera down, then put them both on the floor next to me.

I woke up at 3am to find the laptop had decided it wouldn't shut down as Outlook wouldn't close. In my half asleep state I started panicking that the Hard Disk magnet could affect the sensor of my bagged up camera about 80cm away (which I think is pretty ridiculous as the laptop is magnesium framed and most of it was between the HD - which had stopped spinning hours ago - and the camera).

However, there must be a limit to what you can get away with?

Would you put your D-SLR on a PC Tower with say four hard drives or are they impervious nowadays?

It concerns me that a few "answers" I've read on the net say that magnets can't damage digi cameras when I know otherwise.

Thanks a lot.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow