Why do people think....

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,166Gear list
Like?
Re: Progress is incremental
In reply to Andy Crowe, May 17, 2012

Andy Crowe wrote:

Do you actually know that BSI would give you a worthwhile improvement on a larger 1/1.7" sensor? The point of BSI is that the interconnects around the sensor pixels no-longer get in the way, and proportional these take up more space on a small 1/2.3 sensor than a larger 1/1.7 sensor.

While this may give a marginal improvement on a 1/1.7" sensor have you considered that the improvement isn't enough to justify the extra cost, hence no-one is yet offering one? I'm pretty sure there isn't some big conspiracy to keep a 1/1.7 BSI CMOS sensor out of your hands

I have heard of the diminishing returns as this technology is scaled up, so I am not sure if the gain will be there, not until a camera is produced. I never even imagined that there was a conspiracy, only market forces at work.

This is the thing, almost all camera progress is incremental so as technology improves you will get better quality in small (2/3" and below) sensors and better lenses, but your original post sounded like you thought all that (larger, higher quality sensor with a smaller 10x pocket zoom lens) was possible right now but was being suppressed to push people on to interchangeable lens cameras, not because such a camera isn't yet practical/economical to produce.

That's an interesting thought, I am not sure if I know the answer, we all know that companies stop products that will be a threat to their other product lines, canon not releasing a mirrorless model is a classic of that behaviour. So who knows what is possible or not possible within a given time frame. The Japanese had a saying once, something like it doesn't matter what you manufacture, what is important is to convince people that they need it and create the market desire for that item.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow