Nifty Fifty...50mm f1.8 II..by Ken Rockwell

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Oztom
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Re: Nifty Fifty...50mm f1.8 II..by Ken Rockwell
In reply to ultimitsu, May 17, 2012

ultimitsu wrote:

when so many people are saying it is soft and all creditable reviews show it is soft, i dont think you can rationalise with "dodgy copies", it is a matter of too simple design and too cheap construction that can not deliver good result consistantly (at F1.8) - not that i am complaining, I think it is good enough for its money, just dont make it out to be something that it isnt.

I have never made this lens out to be nothing more than it is and that is a sensational value lens that when used carefully and by competent photographers will deliver stunning results that rival much more expensive lenses.

Honestly what do you expect for the money. Most people who complain about this lens either have a limited understanding of DOF and the art of focusing or have unrealistic expectations from a cheaply made product that was aimed at people who have limited budgets and want to experience a prime lens that is bright and sharp.

I bought mine because I have always had a 50mm in my kit and I researched the options and decided that the money I could save would be better spent on other gear that did not have viable cheaper options.
I love it
I recommend it

and I thank you for your wonderful comments that have made me realize that the different opinions of photographers on this forum are what makes it is so popular and incredibly entertaining.
Thanks Dave for starting the thread and to everybody with an opinion.
Love it.

Oztom's gear list:Oztom's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow