Glance at the potential for a system merge

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,145Gear list
Like?
I just don't see the point
In reply to odl, May 17, 2012

Of course you can get any lens to work with any camera provided they have the same lens mount or you have the right adapter.

I cannot imagine a worse kludge than taking a 15 ounce OM-D... adding a grip and battery pack.... adding a 4/3 to M4/3 adapter.... and then attaching an almost four pound beast of a 35-100mm SHG lens to it!

Sure, it can be done. But why do it?
Unless your primary goal is "to prove it can be done?"

Do professional photographers really want to work like this?

(This is a sincere question. I am not a professional photographer and I don't know if they enjoy combining four or five pieces of gear so they can get the best available optic that will almost autofocus well at a somewhat acceptable speed.)

I'm just guessing here, but I think an E-5 (or better yet, an E-7 if we ever see one) would be a much better tool for using these exceptionally good but large heavy lenses.

Olympus is still trying to define their mission.

4/3 was launched with the notion that it would offer some appeal to high end users. The very first camera (the E1) and the very first lens (the 14-54mm) were magnificently built and weather sealed. They created some really wonderful lenses that were held back by the smaller sensor. And eventually they ended up grinding out consumer grade DSLRs in two lens kits for $500, and still couldn't sell them.

So next they discontinued the entire line (save the top model, since they still needed a way to sell their existing SHG lenses) and moved on to M4/3.

M4/3 is a well designed system that is getting some traction, and perhaps it can eventually become a professional photographer's first choice. There are exactly six 4/3 lenses that are "CDAF compliant." All the others will work on a M4/3 camera, but will be too large, too heavy, or too slow to autofocus.

It is really best to use M4/3 lenses on M4/3 cameras, and to use 4/3 lenses on 4/3 cameras. I say this being a user of both systems, because there really is no "one beautiful system." That was all marketing hype or wishful thinking.

M4/3 currently has several nice lenses, with several more coming. Hopefully, some will be weather sealed. And when this happens it just might be the first choice option for pros for certain applications. But I really doubt many people who don't own SHG lenses will rush out to buy them so they can use them with their OM-Ds.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus E-30 Sony SLT-A55 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Am.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow