Has Adobe gone too far?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,251
Like?
Subscription won't work.
In reply to Leon Wittwer, May 17, 2012

They can try, but they will fail. MS tried this with Office, and failed.

Facts and models aside, people want to own their software. It's a basic tenet of human nature to want to own things you like or need. This is what the big music companies didn't see when they set up subscription services to combat Napster years ago. It's what Steve Jobs did understand when he set up iTunes to sell, not rent, music, because people are attached to their music, they want to own it. And it's why iTunes rules the online music market today, instead of Sony/Columbia. Something simple like that.

And maintenance? Aside from a help desk, fully developed software doesn't require much maintenance. It does not break down or wear out. Trust me on this one, I've worked in software most of my life, in companies that ship products.

The only recent bug fix that Adobe had to make was the security fix, and they tried to sell it by not fixing PS 5.5 that had the problem, but putting the change only in 6.0 instead as a paid upgrade and not a cheap one at that.

That's looking after your customers who paid so much for your product, isn't it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
PS 7New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow