Why we have to stop obsessing about IQ....

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve_
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
Re: I love this reply Michael...
In reply to DRabbit, May 17, 2012

DRabbit wrote:

I often wonder, did no one ever print a photo bigger than 8x10 five years ago? There must be no photographers who ever printed images above 4x6 from a digital file ten years ago.

Of course, that's absurd.

In gear forums like this there is SO much emphasis on IQ that rationality often gets lost completely. Caring is fine, but it often transcends obsessive.

There's a lot of presumption there. I was printing 13x19's most effectively 6 years ago from the 6MP output of my K100D. Although you could do great work with that camera, I seriously doubt you'd live with its limitations today. There is no reason to.

And that's also the problem with the response you admire so. I know precisely what you can do with a 1.2, 2.1, 3.2, 4, 5, or 6MP camera, as I was out there doing it. It's the 'stand on my altar and talk down to the un-enlighted' stance that I protest, and although the OP is much more subtle in her delivery this thread does seem to me to be directed from 'above'. If the photographs linked are special, let them be the message rather than using them as a tool to save us poor fools from ourselves. The attempt to use them as a device to me detracts from their actual value.

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow