Best Practices in Backpacking....

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Bourke
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Re: fully mechanical camera is great
In reply to travelinbri_74, May 17, 2012

I would have difficulty deciding which camera to use. Also, do you really need 14-600mm of range. This is really extreme on both ends. I would consider another cam if it were really small enough to fit in a pocket, or I felt like I could safely leave the rest of my gear in my room, bungalow, etc. Personally I would take one body, less lens and more cash.

The Fuji (or any other APS-C) will give you about 1 stop shallower depth of field at the same aperture and equivalent FOV, and I would guess about 1 stop better low light performance than the OM-D. The OM-D looks to be a significant IQ improvement from older m43 cams; the iso1600 studio sample looks pretty good. I downloaded the iso 200 raws for both the K-5 and OM-D to see how much I could push the shadows on both. I regularly push the shadows a lot without any real IQ hit with my K-5.

The K-5 ISO200 pushed 3 stops in Lightroom with default noise reduction and sharpening. 100% crop. I didn't post the OM-D version because it wasn't so pretty. You can try this for yourself.

Here is a real life snap shot taken with a DA15mm F4 lens, with shadows pushed about 2.5 stops/

I don't know how the shooting experience and IQ of the X1-Pro compare to the K-5, but I will tell you that I love my K-5. If I was headed out for a several month trip and had a budget for a was starting with new glass, I would go for one of the two options:

DA*16-50mm f2.8 + DA* 50-135mm f2.8 + DA*200mm f2.8 + DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited. Almost all weather seamed.

Or DA 15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro, limiteds + FA 77mm f1.8 limited and SMC 135 f2.5 or the much smaller SMC-M 120 f2.8 (both manual focus and aperture control). This would give you a set of very petite lens though nothing weather sealed. Nothing that would intimidate people, and very light in your hands. The 35mm f2.8 could be replaced with the FA43mm f1.9 and the 77 and longer lens replaced with the DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR, then you have at least one weather sealed option and a great portrait lens with a little more reach than the 77. Plus you have one less lens. The other great thing is that they all use 49mm filters.

At this point in my life I can only dream of embarking on a several month long trip with the kit listed above. I wish you a great time.

David Bourke's gear list:David Bourke's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow