rugged Olympus TG-1 iHS Tough enthusiast camera

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,039Gear list
Like?
Re: Sample images with full resolution from Tough TG-1 iHS
In reply to Knight Palm, May 16, 2012

Knight Palm wrote:

Any obsessive pixel peeping of those sample images is a waste of time, since these images are hardly selected for showing off the cameras ultimate image quality, rather they are more of a lifestyle expo of images to attract the target audience.

So far the sample image have given a good indication of what the cameras might be up to. I'm talking about NR, sharpness etc.

For me pixelpeeping is not waste of time. I like fine-details in images and also want to make sure that the focus are correct and that it is sharp enough to be useful.

It seems you're not familiar with Olympus cameras and their Art Filters & Magic Filters. Did you at all check the histogram for the sample image with the moving water? Have you ever worked with the Art Filters and the DRAMATIC option, which is used here on this sample? Olympus Viewer2 can be a substitute for a real camera, if like to explore these Art & Magic Filters.

I've only some minor experience with the C5050, 5060, and also more briefly so with the older D-360L and an other with even smaller ccd which I can't remember. I don't know these "art filters & magic filters" and are not overly interested in things like scene modes etc.

If Chdk ever is released for the D20, it will surely benefit from that.

Don't think it's worth bothering with firmware hacks for these tiny sensor cameras like Canon D20 and Olympus TG-1. And also comes the risk of bricking the camera which violates any warranty by the vendor.

I'm sorry to say, but you're barking up the wrong tree with your pixel peeping and hoping for a firmware hack. For better image quality, don't expect that from these tiny (1/2.3") sensor cameras. You need to go way larger (1/1.7", 2/3", 1"), but that should hardly come as a surprise.

At least Chdk would allow raw/dng to let the camera perform at its best.

Canon D20 vs. Olympus TG-1

Your Canon D20 is sharing the same 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS sensor as this new Olympus TG-1 iHS. Most of us knows that key important parameters for the output image quality are eg. the sensor and the lens.

Olympus have put a nice and fast lens capable of producing good results for that sensor-size. Unfortunately the NR which is more heavy handed than for the D20 are going to smudge some fine-details which that fast lens otherwise would have let us see.

Most of us knows that a good non destroying NR is requried not to force the users to use raw. The XZ-1 are a goodexample of how it went very wrong and forced these which wanted some real image quality to use raw or look for an other compact with useful built in nr.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow