Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Nikon CLS and mixing Powered Heads
May 16, 2012

So far in my acquisitions I've gotten a Nikon SB 800 and an SB 700. I asked earlier here about positioning the lights. Now I have a few more questions about adding a 3rd flash. Not a Nikon nor a Speedlight.

I'm becoming familiar with the favored brands and types of lights here and am attracted to the Paul Buff line of equipment. Most of my strobe shooting would benefit from the portability of SB Nikons shooting through Soft Boxes on stands. But my best experiences years ago were 3-light combinations.

For the price of buying another SB 800 (love that power), I could get an Alien Bees head with about 150 WS of power. Were I ever to shoot in a larger room, the output would be a benefit. But what happens when you mix a Nikon CLS strobe with a power head?

a) do preflashes from the Nikon lights create a firestorm of pre-flashes.

b) does the CLS system of balance get overpowered by non-system light with potentially greater output.

c) what's the advantage of a powered head such as the Alien Bees type -- over a speedlight.

Shooting would be with a Nikon D7000.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow