Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-5 for professional wedding photography
In reply to Big Ga, May 16, 2012

Big Ga wrote:

VBLondon wrote:

Joesiv wrote:

Isn't that the truth, when shooting the D3S is night and day with the D700, it just doesn't get more noisy once you get past ISO2000, not sure how it does it lol, the D700 I find gets plugged up shadows and lost tonality and definition after ISO2000, which for weddings I find unacceptable (my acceptability may be different to others)

I am really glad you said that, I thought it was perhaps just me.

This is pretty much why DxO is such a useful tool, as it predicts/shows what you have seen in real life. Up to about ISO800, the D700 and D3s are neck and neck, however the sensor in the D3s is designed to keep as high a DR as possible as the ISO climbs, so while the D700 tails off quite sharply after 800, the newer sensor has a less severe fall.

Well DXO doesn't show what the actual numbers mean in images. You can have "DR" but it could be unusable due to the look of it, or banding. This is an area that DXO fails at. But yes, in general DXO is a good indicator of real world performance, I'd say better than a well lit studio scene actually.

What is interesting is what they've done with the D4. Looking at the results, I would guess that they've implemented even lower readout noise, so the base/lower ISO response is even cleaner (like the recent super clean Sonys), however at ISO3200, you're basically back to D3s performance.

Yes, the lower ISO's look very promising with the D4 (more so with the D800), this new crop of FF's look great for low to mid ISOs, and right up there for high ISO's. I love that Nikon is finally back to ISO100 too!

What's going to be even more interesting is what Dx0 makes of the Em5

Yes it'll be very interesting, from the various tests we've seen (with pulling and pushing raw files), it seems to be a marked improvement over the GH2, dynamic range should measure more, I'm hoping it can come close to the Sony APS-C sensors like in the K5 or D7000 (sorry to some, but I wouldn't expect it to match the previous generation FF, maybe in low ISO dynamic range as the nikon ones anyways really suffered compared to newer APS-C sensors)
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow