Why I think that there will be an E-5 successor

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,337Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's my dream fix for Oly...
In reply to Keith Hatfull, May 16, 2012

My dream fix would be:

• An e-5 sized m43 body, obviously less deep, same rugged, weathersealing and controls. Phase Detect on sensor for legacy lens' support. The sensor would obviously be of the E-M5 type with 5 axis IS. Same LCD tech as the Em-5, FPS pushed up to 7-8fps to better compete, hybrid EVF/OVF where when the mirror is flipped up the an LCD under the prism would activate allowing liveview through viewfinder and obviously on LCD as well.

• A re-issue of all HG+SHG lens' (over time) with the two extra pins that make them electronically fully compatible with m43, and new focus systems that work better with contrast based IS. This would allow all excisting m43 users to finally have bright high quality lens' options, selling more lens' is what it's all about isn't it?

Of course this is all pie in the sky, but it'd be pretty awesome!

Having said all that, if they could just fit the EM5 sensor/IS in the E5 body, and up the resolution of the fllippy screen, it'd be a major update to E3/E5 users. And maybe that's how Olympus should support existing 43 users for now, allow m43 to drive the technology, and filter it occasionally to 43 to keep it relevant. I believe Olympus stated that they were using the consumer market to drive technology and miniaturization for the upper end.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Tim.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow