Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Why f11 all the time in Program Mode?
May 16, 2012

I've just been away on vacation. To Pathos in Cyprus. Took a lot of pictures of the UNESCO sites there, in blazing sunshine.

And I was using my E-PL3 mostly in Program Mode. So far I've only got the kit lens.

Because of how sunny it was, I could leave it at ISO 200. But one thing I noticed that was annoying was every time I powered the camera up, in that bright sun in Program Mode it would choose f11 as a default.

Why? All the m43 lens reviews I have read all say that at f11 and smaller apertures, a noticeable loss of sharpness happens because of the diffraction limit.

So how come, when the camera is nowhere near having to use its max shutter speed of 1/4000, is it choosing to use f11 and sacrifice a bit of sharpness? I had to remember to twirl the dial and do Program Shift to get to f8 or larger every time (and sometimes I forgot). There is still plenty of DOF at f8 to get everything in focus, if that is what you want...

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow