Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
Garden birds for C&C
May 16, 2012

Hi
These are some of my first bird photos.
"Great Tits".

C&C welcome

Starting here in our garden, and feeling my way through some of the techniques needed with a (for me) big & heavy lens. The 50-500 OS Sigma.
Already, I can see a lot of practice and patience is needed.

The Bigma works well with my D90, as long as there is plenty of light available.

It’s sharper at about F9 and the bird box here was completely in the shade under the tree and needed a slower SS and/or a higher ISO value higher than I prefer to use.

So with 2 big reflector panels set up on stands next to the tree I got the studio effect in the garden and could reduce the ISO and get some nice lighting effects.

Getting as close as possible and zooming in more, as suggested by Dock (in my previous post), the birds now look much bigger in the frame and perhaps more interesting.

The step from these first attempts to the fantastic shots I see here in this forum, in the wild, is a big one! Respect to those photographers!

taken With reflector panels, for more light
Flying back and forth to feed the babies.

Without reflectors , totally in shade

waiting in the branches just above the bird box to see if the coast is clear

shooting out of the hole at high speed

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow