Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
D800 and high ISO photos
May 16, 2012

I am a current Canon owner who, over the last few years, has owned several Canon cameras including the 5D3 and has a fair number of Canon lenses. I have returned the 5D3 because of several problems I had with it expecting to re-order it when I got the credit for the return. However I have been wondering about the D800 because of its large image size and high DR. I could easily order it and an associated lens for about the same as the 5D3/24-105 combo and that would take care of most of my needs.

Since many of my photos are taken early in the morning, late in the afternoon or early in the evening I was very impressed with the 5D3's ability to do high ISO photos and found images at up to ISO 20,000 not in need to any real noise reduction. Even photos at 25,600 and, sometimes, at 51,200, were usable with LR NR or Topaz adjustment. So my question is (and this is a real question - I am not trolling here) how is the D800 at high ISO?

I know that the 5D3 has 2 additional stops (51,200 and 102,400) but also know that H1 (51,200) requires a fair amount of NR to use the image while H2 (102,400) is only for real emergencies. My question is - what are the D800 images taken at 12,800 and 25,600 (as well as values in between) like. Are they relatively clean? Or is the highest ISO value for the D800 not truly usable as the highest ISO value for the 5D3 is not really usable.

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow