Flashed the Plastic on an EM-5. Will it be worth it?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dgc4rter
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Flashed the Plastic on an EM-5. Will it be worth it?
May 16, 2012

Ever since the early evolution of mirrorless cameras, I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a small, neat, portable and feature-rich backup to my FX DSLR (now a Nikon D800) with the capability of producing images on a par, IQ wise, with entry-to-enthusiast level DSLRs (such as the D7000 which I also have and which it would replace).

I've wanted something of a walkabout, street shooter and for those times when carrying a bulky DSLR + lens just isn't practical. Up till now, none of the major offerings have ticked all the boxes. The closest two have been the Fuji X100 (slow AF, buggy arkward menu system, sticky apertures, etc.) or the Sony NEX 7 (gross lack of good, reasonably sized lenses).

And then along comes the Oly EM-5. I've read the usual stuff about this camera and it just looks like there aren't any real serious drawbacks. Small, neat, excellent IQ and high ISO performance, quick AF, IS, flip-out touch sensitive screen, compatible with a huge range of good (and sensibly sized) micro four-thirds lenses. I just couldn't find anything not to like.

So, I've just gone and ordered one and it should be with me tomorrow. If it lives up to expectation, the D7000 and a range of DX lenses goes on ebay shortly after.

The question to all those current EM-5 users is... Do you think I've done the right thing and have you come across any early production flaws?

-- hide signature --
 dgc4rter's gear list:dgc4rter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow