Senior MemberPosts: 2,425Gear list
Like?
Re: 7DmkII rumors (serious attempt)
In reply to Danga, May 16, 2012

Danga wrote:

7D Mark II:

Added to the rumor specs, for under $2000 :

More MP (at least 24MP)
Improved high ISO performance (relative to 7D).

I think around $2,000 would be a good price if the line is kept as a fully featured high end APS-C camera. But I don't agree on the MP count. From the 1DX overview:

'There's a couple of things that we consider when we think about IQ: number one on this sensor is noise. It's clear the noise level is better than in the 1D Mk IV or the 1DS III. The pixel size is larger than in the 1DS III or 5D Mark II (6.95 microns, versus 6.4) and the difference is even more striking compared to the 5.7 micron pixels in the 1D Mark IV. That helps us in terms of light capturing ability and increases the signal to noise ratio. In turn, that does nothing but help the dynamic range of the camera.'

And its this improvement in image quality that Westfall believes will make the 1D X appeal to 1DS as well as 1D users. 'I think the factor that's going to make that a reality is the noise level is better than anything we've seen before. With cleaner images, people are going to feel much more comfortable up-rezing an image. Not many people need a 21MP file to begin with , so they're going to love the IQ of this camera and the quality's good enough that those people who do need those huge files will find the images clean enough to use them.'

I would love Canon to maintain that philosophy for the 7DmkII. It will always be APS-C, so it won't be as good as the 1DX (obviously), but keeping it at 16-18MP could offer more desirable benefits in terms of image quality, noise and dynamic range.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow