Thom on D800 lens choice

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
MikeCD2020
MikeCD2020 Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Boat sails. Thom on dock. And Venice flooded

I have had more than a few people inquiring as to why I have two Macro-Planars that are not really macro capable....

Well, for the work I do, I need to make tight, in-camera-crop images of people... so the fact that they ONLY get you to 1:2 is not an issue for me... I prefer the way that they draw the image and the OOF is, in MY opinion very good...this happens to be the same conclusion my clients have, but then i knew that as i had tested many, many lenses, asked my major clients over for a coffee and got hem to give their opinion of 4 prints at 30x40 of the same image shot with different lenses but at the same settings...

On the few jobs, maybe one day every month, that I shoot jewellery, then an extension tube is used on around 50% of the images... and I never have a problem with movement... MUP and a very solid camera-stand are ALWAYS used for jewellery unless I am working with models, then I will be shooting without an extension tube... but still with a heavy camera-stand, location shoots with a model are shot entirely with the 50mm & 100mm Macro Planars... with a very heavy, old & battered Gitzo with an ancient Arca-Swiss mono-ball head...

I am finished with this thread... it is entirely the choice of the individual as to which lens & camera combination they choose... just as it is upto the individual to read or not read any article... for myself... i read and take note of what I think is relevant to me and forget the rest, BUT, I ALWAYS look at who is doing the writing and who is doing the whinging...

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
BJN
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow