Thom on D800 lens choice

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeCD2020
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Boat sails. Thom on dock. And Venice flooded
In reply to SNRatio, May 16, 2012

I have had more than a few people inquiring as to why I have two Macro-Planars that are not really macro capable....

Well, for the work I do, I need to make tight, in-camera-crop images of people... so the fact that they ONLY get you to 1:2 is not an issue for me... I prefer the way that they draw the image and the OOF is, in MY opinion very good...this happens to be the same conclusion my clients have, but then i knew that as i had tested many, many lenses, asked my major clients over for a coffee and got hem to give their opinion of 4 prints at 30x40 of the same image shot with different lenses but at the same settings...

On the few jobs, maybe one day every month, that I shoot jewellery, then an extension tube is used on around 50% of the images... and I never have a problem with movement... MUP and a very solid camera-stand are ALWAYS used for jewellery unless I am working with models, then I will be shooting without an extension tube... but still with a heavy camera-stand, location shoots with a model are shot entirely with the 50mm & 100mm Macro Planars... with a very heavy, old & battered Gitzo with an ancient Arca-Swiss mono-ball head...

I am finished with this thread... it is entirely the choice of the individual as to which lens & camera combination they choose... just as it is upto the individual to read or not read any article... for myself... i read and take note of what I think is relevant to me and forget the rest, BUT, I ALWAYS look at who is doing the writing and who is doing the whinging...

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow