rugged Olympus TG-1 iHS Tough enthusiast camera

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Sample images with full resolution from Tough TG-1 iHS
In reply to schaki, May 16, 2012

After a closer look I see a lot of NR artifacts in the darker areas. Mainly in the picture with moving water. Seems like I'll have to go with the D20 anyway because I'm not quite willy to sacrifice image quality because of sub par NR for a faster lens.

Any obsessive pixel peeping of those sample images is a waste of time, since these images are hardly selected for showing off the cameras ultimate image quality, rather they are more of a lifestyle expo of images to attract the target audience.

It seems you're not familiar with Olympus cameras and their Art Filters & Magic Filters. Did you at all check the histogram for the sample image with the moving water? Have you ever worked with the Art Filters and the DRAMATIC option, which is used here on this sample? Olympus Viewer2 can be a substitute for a real camera, if like to explore these Art & Magic Filters.

If Chdk ever is released for the D20, it will surely benefit from that.

Don't think it's worth bothering with firmware hacks for these tiny sensor cameras like Canon D20 and Olympus TG-1. And also comes the risk of bricking the camera which violates any warranty by the vendor.

I'm sorry to say, but you're barking up the wrong tree with your pixel peeping and hoping for a firmware hack. For better image quality, don't expect that from these tiny (1/2.3") sensor cameras. You need to go way larger (1/1.7", 2/3", 1"), but that should hardly come as a surprise.

Canon D20 vs. Olympus TG-1

Your Canon D20 is sharing the same 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS sensor as this new Olympus TG-1 iHS. Most of us knows that key important parameters for the output image quality are eg. the sensor and the lens.

• Putting a larger sensor in a ruggedised zoom camera seems like a pipe dream, such a camera would end up like a brick, and weigh like one.

• While Olympus competitors like Canon traded zoom range for lens brightness, like the Canon D10 which had a competitive f/2.8 lens now lost that for an ordinary f/3.9 in the newer Canon D20, nearly a full aperture stop slower, which will have a deteriorating impact on the image quality. (Canon believes their customers obviously prefers long zoom over lens brightness, since Canon did the same trade off with S95 to S100 upgrade).

From experience with these small sensor cameras, we know that staying at base ISO is the number #1 priority, in order to achieve best output image quality. We also remember, that at apertures smaller than f/2.8, you're already diffraction-limited, so staying at f/2.8 or larger is another priority, if you want to get the maximum detail.

It's therefore fully understandable the market's shared enthusiasm about the bright f/2.0 lens now appearing in a ruggedised camera, which in this case gives TWO APERTURE STOPS advantage over your Canon D20 camera. Given the fact, that they both share the same 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS sensor, you can allow for lots of noise filtering in the TG-1, and still stay ahead of the D20 in image quality, thanks to the TG-1's bright lens superiority, f/2.0 vs. f/3.9 remember.

Still, one could wish for a selectable noise filter setting, and even for a raw file output from the TG-1, but those options seems rare on these small sensor P&S cameras. Without those two options present, I agree the TG-1 is hardly an enthusiast camera.

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/compact/technology/ihs_2012/

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow