D800 RAW vs JPEG

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 RAW vs JPEG
In reply to Tony Beach, May 16, 2012

Tony Beach wrote:

Because then you should be able to replicate what you get from the camera's JPEG engine.

I see, so for example, if I had some nasty noise in my RAW file I could have used DPP to reproduce Canon's JPEG and effectively reduce the noise. But why go about it that way? Why not just let Canon do the work for me on-camera?

You guys are missing my fundamental observation here, and it's my fault, because I don't have the technical knowledge to express my point clearly, but here's my point - with the 5DII the JPEGs straight off-camera are more pleasing than the RAW, at least to the naked eye. With the D800 the RAW is more pleasing to the naked eye straight off camera than the JPEG. Is there an error in making this point? I'm not defensive here at all, I'm just a student raising my hand and asking a question.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow