Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
D800 RAW vs JPEG
May 16, 2012

I'm in the process of switching over from Canon. I'll tell you something interesting about my experience with Canon. IMO, Canon's JPEG engine is way better than their RAW engine. I'm no expert on this subject, but shot after shot, the JPEGs from my 5DII were sharper and featured better color and noise than RAW.

In researching Nikon, I noticed that the D800 RAW files were considered better than their JPEGs. For example, in one review I read, the noise in RAW at 6400 looked so much cleaner than the JPEG on the D800. This is in stark contrast to my experience with Canon.

So the test shot you see here is from my D800 and is really interesting to me. I took this shot with the D800 and the 85 1.4G with the most left auto focus point in AF-S, at f1.4. The image you're seeing is a screen capture from my Mac and the images were displayed through Apple's Preview.

The RAW is on the left. I hope you can see it here, but it's much sharper and features better color.

My friends, this is just one more reason why I switched to Nikon. The fact that this company invests more R&D into RAW demonstrates to me that they understand the needs of professional portrait photographers.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow