X-Pro1 autofocus test

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,535Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 autofocus test
In reply to borgein, May 16, 2012

I don't 'come from' DSLR to the XP1.

I retain my full two body D3s Nikon setup because I need it for work. The XP1 is a different camera I will also use for work, just only for certain kinds of work and probably not until I can develop RAW properly in Aperture or Capture One Pro.

As to AF of course the XP1 cannot hold a candle to a D3s with a 2.8 AFS lens mounted - I could focus and take 10 frames on that setup in the time it takes the XP1 to focus and take a single frame in less than ideal light.

I do believe it will get quicker with firmware and I accept that it is still faster than me trying to manually focus say a Leica M9. I shot M film cameras which focus at exactly the same speed (i.e. as fast as my eye and hand can do it!) and the XP 1 mostly beats that - at least in fair light. The 60mm is a tad slow and could do with some sort of FW increase in the close focus so that Macro is needed sooner than it is now. That might help with hunting by reducing range.

Since CDAF is essentially executed by software rather than hardware (unlike PDAF) it is entirely possible for Fuji to improve performance through firmware and I think patience will be a virtue for those of us who can see the potential of this great camera system and persevere with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow