Why did you pick the Pentax K5 over the Nikon D7000?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Bourke
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Re: Ergonomics...
In reply to hungryhippo, May 16, 2012

When I first bought a DSLR I looked to buy a Nikon D70, but it just didn't fit my hand. Pentax came out with the *istD, which had the same sensor as the D70 and it just fit my hand. When I upgraded to a K-7 (for the increased resolution) I didn't have much invested in lenses, so I looked at a D5000. The K-7 ergonomics and build quality were much better than the D5000, though the IQ was better than the K-7. I bought the K-5 for the improved IQ, but also found that AF was improved as well.

As far as sports shooting goes, I take a lot of kids soccer and lacrosse photos. I use the DA 55-300 f4-5.8 lens. This lens is relatively inexpensive with good IQ. In daylight I prefer to shoot at ISO 400, 1/1600s, F8. This gives me the depth of field necessary to get more than one player in focus. Also, in lacrosse the players are often turning, faking and spinning in ways that I cannot predict, so reasonble depth of field helps quite a bit for keeping the subject in focus. I can't believe that any AF system can pick out one player and keep him in focus as he moves in and out of the crowd of others, certainly not in the depth of field of f4 at 250mm.

Here is a link to photos from this seasons lacrosse games. The first ten or so images can be downloaded at full resolution. The rest have been downsampled to 1080 tall. Most were shot in raw. Even shooting raw at 7 FPS, I have never had to wait for the camera to buffer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113380984350875579942/NorthTahoeLacrosse?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMvNtZqP5O2IIw&feat=directlink

David Bourke's gear list:David Bourke's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow