Who Needs Custom Setting Prefs on D7000?

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 885Gear list
Like?
Who Needs Custom Setting Prefs on D7000?
May 15, 2012

Complex equipment coupled with a confusing control system is familiar to me. But I've had my D7000 camera for 3 weeks and have studied it nearly every day. I place the camera in my lap and turn every knob and push every button. I read the User Manual. I read a 'How To' book on the D7000 that has the highest reader ratings on Amazon.com.

I have an image of myself as a photographer. I shot film for 35 years and as editor and publisher selected thousands of images that went into print. And I think I understand about 75% of the options on a D7000.

But in this whir of information overload, my trigger finger isn't jumping to click the shutter. It has turned me into a couch potato. And so I'm wondering why do I care about all the options and features on the D7000? As an amateur, do I want to write down a bunch of notes and then take the hours (or minutes) needed to program in U1 and U2 for Custom Menus?

Perhaps other Nikon owners who are not pros could explain their reasons for "going deep-digital" and setting up Custom Settings as apposed to defining a few preferences in Setup and Shooting menus.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow