Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
Feasable way to work around the DOF control issue
May 15, 2012

OK guys, I'm a shallow DOF nut addicted now to smaller cams, so bear with me.

i just fell in love with my GX-1 form factor and nearly everything about it, and I'm even happy to give up continuous shooting AF. The one thing I still drool over from my D700 shots is the extended DOF control.

Now, what if... some brilliant computer engineer, electronics programmer, software wizard, whatever, was able to work out an in-camera DOF 35mm FF emulator ? Like, the camera would calculate the equivalent blur you'd get at the same aperture on FF, and add it to the recorded file ?!? It'd be like beating the very laws of optics and physics ! Some camera makers have some defocus simulation (the Fuji X10 does it I think) but it's pretty crude, couldn't it be done really scientifically and properly in m4/3 ??

To me it sounds like it'd break one of the greatest remaining barrier to absolute m4/3 usability ! Yes, yes, I know about (and own) 25/1.4, 45/1.8, and even the upcoming 75/1.8, but imagine, it would just make our CURRENT lenses immediately much more versatile and capable ! The light gathering abilities are already there, so m4/3 lenses are already "fast", it'd be fabulous to be able to control subject isolation as well as with FF on our smaller bodies. Of course, since it'd be in fact a software, in-camera post processing operation, one could chose to activate it, or not...

What do you techy people think ??

Marla.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow