Why do people think....

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,274Gear list
Like?
Re: Many cameras like that already exist.
In reply to Andy Crowe, May 15, 2012

Andy Crowe wrote:

I would like a small camera with a 1/1.7 BSI-CMOS sensor with no more than 16mp and about 24-240mm fixed lens. Is that too much to ask for from this season's new models.

You have loads of cameras like this to choose from, on the one hand you have plenty of good pocket zooms with 10 and 12x lenses, on the other you have plenty of premium compacts with 1/1.7 and 1/1.6 sensors with moderate 4x or larger zooms,

I already have a premium compact with a 1/1.7 CCD, what I am talking about is a future one using 1/1.7 BSI-CMOS. The feature search of this site shows that such a camera doesn't exist, the closest is the canon S100 which is CMOS but not backlit. The 1/2.3 BSI-CMOS sensors are giving about the same high ISO performance as the 1/1.7 CCD, example like the canon SX240HS show this, so it is possible that if the sensor could be scaled up then there would be a performance gain for the enthusiast class of camera. My concern is that this may never be made.

Most responders in this thread have jumped to the conclusion that I am trying to limit what they can buy, but they can buy what they need, I am only talking about what I want. For those that can understand english please do not twist around what I am saying.

You want both a large/wide zoom range and a larger sensor in a compact body? Can't be done, a larger sensor requires either a physically larger lens (which you don't want) or a smaller max aperture, which negates most the advantages of the larger sensor anyway.

I agree, so far existing long zoom models have often used apertures as small as f3.5 where I want at least f1.8

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow