-2EV AF , does not seem to mean FASTER Low Light AF ? What do you think?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
D800, I want that BEEP-BANG feeling back, Here is MY test impressions
In reply to noirdesir, May 15, 2012

Noirdesir, D800 has a less sure feeling

noirdesir wrote:

No, my point is that the fact that the D800 has a better sensitivity in low light likely is just that, a better sensitivity at low light (maybe, EV -2 to 1).

Yes, we can agree on that. for Sure

Whether that has any effect on the performance in medium light (EV 6.5) is an open question.

Just did a test sitting at my office desk.
shot a letter on my wall cork board. M at f2.8, 1/125, iso6400

Flipped back and forth between my D800 and D700 and my 24-70 f2.8 , 70-200 f2.8 VRII

Did it several times .... could not fool myself by closing my eyes, which camera was which because of the grips.

The differance in speed on this test is very, very slight. Kept the AF point right on the target and move the Focus ring to take it out of focus, then AF. Did this over and over to get a feel of what was happening. also moved the AF points. choose different one's.

On the D700 it seemed almost silent and smooth to the AF on the 24-70 f2.8. very hard to hear the lens.

On the D800 it had a "slight" feeling of an "engage" move to AF point "quickly" , then a small dis-engage. that little bit of before and after could be heard. When the D700 would be almost silent.

The lens "sounds" like it has a slight delay to Engage, then a Fast acceleration (sounds/Feels faster) , then a brake and "sometimes" a small check step.
This is how I would describe it.

Now, except for the Before and After steps ... it "seems" the D800 is moving the lens faster, and noisier. (remember the noise is relative to the D700 only, it's not that loud and you have to listen for it)

IF not for the Before and After steps , I would say the D800 was going to the AF point faster vs the D700. AND, would go so far as to say on "some" AF (when I do a lot in a row) the D800 is Faster vs the D700.

The D700 has a smooth acceleration and strait to lock, and in comparison the D800 feels like it is NOT moving off the Half button press super fast, then moves Faster to the AF point , then braking and checking (the check is only sometimes)

Would go so far as to say the D800 "seems" to move to the AF faster ... but because of the start and stop checks , it end up being slower in total feel.
And sometimes noticable to the Press-and-Beep.

These guys at the CameraStoreTV noticed it too ... I "KNOW" Exactly what they are talking about ... in probably simular light that I work in. Ballroom and studio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTo7UxbJX8&feature=related

Also the statement on AF vs MkIII "Breaks my Nikon Heart" ... I know exactly what he is saying. Both on AF and fps.

I Really, Really do NOT think Nikon should give up there Higher Ground on AF and fps at this pricepoint ... Even though I am Loving the 36mp and the D800.

That Beep-Bang is exactly the feeling I have with the D700 with the 24-70 f2.8.
I want that BACK on the D800 with the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII.

p.s. no I do not have AF issues with the left AF point. (but, have not done a serious test ... it seems ok on my every day work)

Thank you for your input,
HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow