Explain A and S settings to me please

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,586Gear list
Like?
Convenience of Aperture priority
In reply to JulesJ, May 15, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

I don't know what camera you use bit on the ones I when using P it of course starts at a pair of SS and A that might not be to your choice, but simple rolling the wheel on your camera it quickly rolls you through any and all of the combinations of correctly exposed settings and you just stop at the pair you want, what could be easier?

I often do landscape and cityscape shots exclusively and for that I want usually an aperture larger tham f8 (better f16) for greater depth of field. Shutter speed is not so much an issue as I have IS lenses or a tripod, so I delegate this conveniently to the camera while I have it set to f16 in A-mode.

Even if I set aperture values in P, it jumps back to a default (usually f7.1 or 6.3) the next image. Being used to A-mode (since times of my RICOH KR-10), I usually forget about this. I am simply not used to that. The results are images with too shallow depth of field, or I have to revisit the scene.

I use P when things have to go fast (people shots) and M when I use flash and want to control depth of field (only fill-flash available in aperture priority).

As I shoot mostly still subjects, depth of field is the most important parameter. People pictures form a greater proportion of your images, so for you, shutter speed (and speed generally) is more paramount.
--
Chris
-----
http://christopher363.redbubble.com
http://www.whitewall.com/christopher

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
uhmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow