Photo gallery type display

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: Photo gallery type display
In reply to rpenmanparker, May 15, 2012

When I was in school's exhibition, we used pretty much what you described. You can dry mount, of course. White mat is pretty standard, but some (like me) would prefer black mat, but it depends on the exhibit you're in, which will mandate the requirement. Frame..., as long as it's minimalist, you should do fine. Black frame doesn't distract the attention from your photograph, which ought to be the center of the attention, not frame nor mat board.

I used little photo corners (the triangular pocket kind) for each corner of the photograph, so the mat board can be reused. Here, I found this through Google. Pretty good page for it:

http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html

I also do hinging, again, so the mat board can be reused. But fully adhesive type may look flatter and more pro, but behind glassed frame, it's all the same.

For photo's border, 1/2" covered up by mat board is pretty standard, but I found if you get a bordered photo with something like 1/4" on each side, more photo can be exhibit (the extra 1/4" is for safety). I usually crop my photos very precise, so even the edges are kind of important, and this allows the maximum area of the photo to be exhibited. Your decision, really.

Which size you're going to print? 11x14" and 8x10" are still pretty common, but with 12x18", the frame and mat selection may be a little tricky. Yes, acid-free mat board is still common practice. For financially endowed people, you can also select rag board.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow