Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,586Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor dust
In reply to jrtrent, May 15, 2012

jrtrent wrote:

Christoph Stephan wrote:

Have you tried the newer models with automatic sensor cleaning? Dust was a major hassle spoiling the fun with my EOS 20D, and I upgraded to the EOS 40D (the foirst one of this line with sensor-cleaning) for that reason. And indeed, this upgrade largely solved the sensor dust issue...

That's a good point. I never had sensor dust problems with an Olympus DSLR.

At some point, I contemplated this very step - changing to Olympus. Now I am glad that I never did. They abandoned all but their heavy top-of-the line DSLR. I do not like framing with the screen or an EVF for the very reasons you line out below - so the mirrorless follow up is a no-go for me. If I had taken this step the only option would have been to get a stash of E-610 and E-450 whilst stocks last - for an indefinite time...

I think that was probably the issue I had with my Sigma SD14. It had that filter just behind the lens mount to block dust entry, and besides that, I never changed lenses on it anyway (I bought only the 30mm F/1.4 standard lens). But after three trips to Sigma for cleaning (nice company to deal with, and they never charged me for a cleaning), and then finding sensor debris issues yet again, I gave up on it (and bought an Olympus E-450).

Quite right, sending the camera in is not an option if you have pictures to take...during a holiday....

I think it was also just easier to compose with a film camera. No digital SLR has a viewfinder as big and easy to focus on than any of the budget film SLR's I've owned. My Contax 139Q actually has the smallest viewfinder of my film cameras, yet it's still got a bigger, easier to use viewfinder than any of even the full-frame cameras I've compared it to. The depth of field scales on the Zeiss manual-focus prime lenses are great, and exposure issues with slide film were easily solved by using a spot meter. Digital has lots of advantages, though, and I still hope some company will bring out a manual-focus digital SLR (like Leica did with the rangefinder M9).

Very true, noting beats a split prism in that respect, but even my humble EOS 300 is miles ahead of my digital SLRs and combines a very large finder with super light weight. How lovely would it be were if Canon could reduce the form and weight factor of the EOS 5d to that format....
--
Chris
-----
http://christopher363.redbubble.com
http://www.whitewall.com/christopher

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow