So confused

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
tfranzone
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: So confused
In reply to cakes, May 15, 2012

I am not sure what cannonfodder is trying to say here either... the Canon 10-22 is a lens that is APC-S only.. AKA.. it cannot be used on DSLR's with a full frame sensor...so if you move to a FF camera body..say goodbye to that 10-22... BUT that is neither here nor there.. let's not get away from the question...

So.. this is a very wide open question here.. it seems like you are interested in a best overall lens you can get... this isnt exactly easy as camera lenses are made for specific purposes in mind.. if they didnt do this.. the camera companies would be out of business.... so let's start...

You own/shoot a Canon 60D... this is a crop body camera with a 1.6x crop factor.. this means your field of view is smaller than it would be on a full frame camera body.. which I'm sure you are aware of... the 50mm 1.8 you own is a good lens for portraiture as it is equivalent to 80mm on your 60D and 85mm is an ideal head and shoulders portraiture length on a 35mmFF... to get your equivalent field of view.. multiply by 1.6...you probably already know that though..

THE ABSOLUTE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS TO PICK A CATEGORY OF LENS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOOT WITH...YOU NEED TO DECIDE 2 IMPORTANT THINGS:

WHAT IS IT YOU WANT TO SHOOT THE MOST(landscapes,portraits,street photography,sports,birds..etc..) this is going to decide your focal length range you would want to have!! AND DO YOU NEED THIS TO PERFORM WELL IN LOW LIGHT WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE OF FLASH??? this will determine the speed of the lens you would like..

Once you have assesed those 2 questions.. start to narrow down. and voila! new lens city!

I cant tell you what lens to buy.. to each their own.. but I can make a quick/easy suggestion by saying get rid of your kit zoom lens and maybe pick up the 17-55.. it will give you a focal length similar to your kit zoom... (wider angle than your 50 1.8)...whilst performing better in low light than the kit zoom.. (closer to the 50s low light capability with the reaach of your kit zoom). So as a 35mm equivalent, you're looking at a field of view of 27-88 and 80, both with good low light capabilities.

Good luck with your decision! hope i helped a tiny bit.

tfranzone's gear list:tfranzone's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow