Time-lapse of shuttle demating done with Sony

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Time-lapse of shuttle demating done with Sony
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, May 15, 2012

That's actually a possibility. I think the default sleep time for the a580 in OVF mode is 10 seconds, which would let it go to sleep for around 20 seconds between exposures (if exposures are taken at 30 second intervals). But even when it's not asleep, it'll barely be consuming any battery power because it doesn't have to power up the sensor and processing electronics to deliver a live view feed (which no one will be looking at). That could also explain the overheating - if the electronics aren't running at full speed to deliver live view, they won't be generating much heat.

If that's the case, the NEX probably won't give very good battery life either. Like the SLT models, it's going to drain a lot of battery power (and generate heat) by running the live view feed between shots.

Does the camera go into the sleep mode between shots? That is the one difference I can see that might cause overheating - always full on.

I second that. I find time lapse videos to be interesting too. I made an attempt once, setting the camera to continuous 4 second exposures with a remote release locked down. It sort of worked, but having a real intervalometer is definitely better.

It's an interesting time lapse. Thanks for sharing and explaining.

Also, with the high resolution stills, why not try for a 4k video? That'd be interesting

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow