Question to E1 owners our anyone who has this lens

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?
Re: Question to E1 owners our anyone who has this lens
In reply to maranatha, May 15, 2012

maranatha wrote:

Hi do any of you use the Panasonic / Leica f/3.8-5.6 14-50mm Mega OIS Zoom Lens on your E1 and if so how do you rate this lens as i can pick one up thanks Paul
--

UNLESS you absolutely need Image Stabilization (which your E1 doesn't have) and UNLESS the 3.8-5.6 happens to be optically better than the 2.8-3.5 PanaLeica, I'd spend my money on a first gen 14-54mm Zuiko.

I've used the 14-50mm 2.8-3.5 lens for three weeks now (on E-5 and EM5) - it is surely an OK lens, but the only things that would justify its purchase are its awesome looks, its built in IS and its aperture ring.

The IS I don't care about, the nice looks - meh, my eye is usually behind the lens, not above it. The aperture ring - only functional with some Panasonic cameras. Useless on the Oly ones.

Optically, I couldn't find it to be better than the various 14-54mm (1st and 2nd gen) I've owned, not to mention the 11-22mm and 12-60mm Zuikos which are flat out better.

The 14-50 3.8-5.6 doesn't open the same, doesn't have an aperture ring, doesn't have a distance scale (it matters for some people). I don't know if it's optically better than the 2.8-3.5, but I'd doubt it.

All in all, a first gen 14-54mm in good condition is the best bang for the buck lens you could ever buy with money. If you absolutely want to stay exotic and rare - look for a Sigma 18-50mm 2.8. At least it's 2.8 all the way. And its price is at something barely higher than a used 14-54mm mk1.

To my eyes, the only lens worth considering over its competition (or with no competition at all) in the 4/3 Panaleica lineup is the 14-150mm. It is clearly an interesting lens.

Even the 25mm 1.4 Panaleica has a shady, unknown competitor, which is the Sigma 24mm 1.8. This one is so, so good at prices south of $280, that I can't see what a lens more than twice the price, known to be good but not stellar at full aperture, would bring as an advantage.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow