Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ed Rizk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400
Like?
Re: Sensor dust
In reply to jrtrent, May 15, 2012

jrtrent wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

Infinite possibilities are good. Unless you can fly, you will never get a picture of a bird in flight without a long lens. . . Some of us need or want pictures of specific things that are not always positioned on the earth for a shot with a 50mm lens.

It is certainly true that a normal lens isn't the best choice for every type of photography, but it isn't a bad choice to start with, and for some it has proven the only lens they need or want.

If you just want to try photography for a creative outlet, it is probably a great place to start. I ended up buying one myself.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1018&message=39658561

If you want certain types of shots, some can only be had with certain lenses. If you want multiple types of shots, you have to have multiple focal lengths.

I like Philip Greenspun's advice on a good first lens in his article on how to build a DSLR system:

"The novice photographer who starts with a zoom lens typically uses it in lieu of backing up or stepping forward. An experienced photographer visualizes the scene first, chooses a focal length, then gets into the appropriate position to capture the scene with that focal length.

Only the clairvoyant can visualize a scene and choose the best focal length for it before they have seen the place.

It is much better to get a lens with a fixed focal length, learn to recognize scenes where that lens can be used effectively, and then add additional lenses once that focal length has been mastered."

Zoom lenses reduce lens changes when taking many shots. I am having more fun with my prime lens than I did in the beginning (as explained in the thread above) but would be very limited if it was all I had.

http://photo.net/equipment/building-a-digital-slr-system/?p=2

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow