Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Justin K
Contributing MemberPosts: 544Gear list
Like?
Canon S100 & iPhone 4s testing
May 15, 2012

Though I know this isn't a fair comparison and the two are in two different leagues, bare with me on this one.

I have tried many compacts since over the years and return each as they feel like toys compared to my dslr. Then came the iPhone which offers good images in perfect light and horrible in low light. This can be overcome by using different apps with filters but still more like a toy.

After reading several excellent review I purchased a s100 3 days ago and have been testing it out.

My questions are the following-

1) Though the s100 so far appears to offer better image quality, especially when shooting raw and post in Lightroom, do you think it is that much better and worth carrying an iPhone and s100? The nice piece of the iPhone is it is always with you.

2) Lightroom PP- What camera profile are you using for portrait, landscape etc. Any other setting in LR that appear to make the most of the s100 raw files?

3) Kids, Pets, etc... Though nothing beats a dslr with a moving subject, there are times when the kids are playing etc and I would never use the iPhone. Does the s100 suffice? What settings???

I have other questions but think this is a good start for the discussion. Again, not so much comparing the s100 and the iPhone more justifying the s100. Is it worth having a camera in both pockets...

Justin K's gear list:Justin K's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D300
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow