IPAD as a storage device???

Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Menneisyys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Card readers for IPAD 2
In reply to Tony Tomlin, May 15, 2012

I might be missing a point here, but it's certainly NOT appearing as a disk (a standard external drive). Only

1, desktop apps like iFunbox can use it as generic storage (again, NO system-level drive!) or you MUST install an app like iExplorer / Phone Disk to access it. With the latter, it's indeed listed as an external, system-level drive, but NOT without it.

2, if you start a WebDAV server on the iPad, you can map it as a network drive in Finder (on the Mac)

3, via iTunes, you can store files in any (File Sharing-capable) app's Documents dir

4, and, of course, you can also access it via Wi-Fi (from a Web browser) / FTP if you start an app supporting these servers on it.

Nevertheless, it's not possible to mount the iPad as a generic drive, unless, again, you mount it via WebDAV (running it on the iPad) or using the commercial Phone Disk on the desktop.

For jailboken devices, you can use another app, but it isn't able to map the full(!) storage of the iPad as a generic volume either.

Tony Tomlin wrote:

Just plug the ipad into your PC and it will appear as a disk. Create a directory and copy the files to it. You will find all the jpegs and Raw intact and original.
I have used it for mutiple trips over the past three years with no problem.
When I used an E3 I put the CF cards in a small USB reader in the Apple kit.

I ahve heard that some CF readers draw too much for the ipad to support them but I have no problem.
--
Tony

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow