Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tonganqn
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Help in buying new tripod system
May 15, 2012

I'm in search of a light but sturdy tripod system (tripod, ballhead and plate) for landscape and cityscapes photography (including night photography) and, if possible, to be used in the studio for portrait photography as well.

Currently I have a Nikon D300s but I'm planning to switch to a full-frame camera (perhaps the D800). The biggest lens I'm planning to use would be the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. I'm estimating the weight combination of the camera system would be around 3Kg. (+ or -).

I have narrowed down my search to the following:

Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPro3

Ballhead: Markins Q-Ball Q3 Emille (either knob or lever is ok for me )

Plate: Here I thought I could go for a Markins plate for the D300s (and later for the D800) for the time being and eventually an L-shape plate.

Another option is to get the Gitzo GT2830 instead of the Manfrotto 055CXPro3 but I'm not sure whether it would be overkill for the system that I'm envisioning. I could always save a bit on the tripod and spend more on an L-shape plate.

Do yo think this is a good combination of equipment? I would like to hear your comments and experience (issues) with these tripods (both Manfrotto and Gitzo) and the ballhead, specially those of you that have used them with the 70-200.

Thanks in advance.

G.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow