Are Zeiss lenses that much better than Nikon on D800?

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeCD2020
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Are Zeiss lenses that much better than Nikon on D800?
In reply to Tenken777, May 15, 2012

I spent a long time looking at the Nikkor 14-24... Nikkor 24 1.4... the Zeiss 21mm and the Zeiss 25mm...

The 14-24 is one of the very best lenses ever made... and it is a zoom, maybe it can replace a couple of primes... the major down-side is the filter use issues...

The Nikkor 24mm 1.4 is a great lens but compared to the 14-24... it makes little sense when pushing the iso a couple of stops has little affect on image quality... This is a lens that has a hard time proving to ME that it is worth the place in MY camera bag...

The Zeiss 21mm is widely regarded as one of the very best lenses ever made... and I can only agree... I had to decide between the 25mm and the 21mm... for ME, the announcement of the Zeiss 15mm made life a whole lot easier... the 25mm Distagon has a fantastic way of producing images that do not look like they are wide-angle... and can be put to good use for environmental portraiture... The 21mm would give a VERY differnt feel to an image, for most subjects, it creates a dynamic perspective, but that is not what i need fro my third lens... So, I now have 3 lenses that I belive are the perfect trio for me and the work that I am shooting over the next few years... but I also have the 15mm at the very top of my purchase list... along with the 135mm f2.0 APO that I have asked Mr Zeiss to build... the I will be a very happy, lop-sided, photographer...
Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow