Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pca7070
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Blurry pics from E-M5 (IBIS related)
May 15, 2012

With IS on, pictures shot with my E-M5 at certain shutter speeds are blurry. The strange part is that it only occurs when the camera is held firmly and steadily with both hands while looking into the electronic view finder (just like using a DSLR), but not when the camera is held very casually in my right hand (inevitably a lot of shaking introduced). The pics are very sharp when mounted on tripod no matter IS is on or off.

I've done extensive tests to confirm the problem. The findings are summerized in the tables below (5 shots for each combination):

What I also find is the shaking pattern is always vertical while the camera is held in landscape orientation, and the shaking pattern is horizontal while the camera is held in portrait orientation.

Here are some 100% crop samples using 45mm F1.8 lens at 1/80 with IS on.

Camera held casually in right hand:

Camera held steadily with both hands (in landscape orientation):

Camera held steadily with both hands (in portrait orientation):

The E-M5 has been sent to Olympus for checking. I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same problem or mine is just an isolated case.

I've been using SLR/DSLR for 16 years, and I know how to properly hold a camera.

pca7070's gear list:pca7070's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow