Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoshRtek
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
D4 + 14-24mm or 16-35mm?
May 15, 2012

I've been happily putting my D4 through it's paces the past three weeks. Up until this weekend, I'd been practicing a strict policy of primes-only, but I let that slip to test my 28-300mm, and was pleased with the results.

Further, I finally sold my Nikon 10-24mm ultra wide angle zoom, the last piece of DX glass to go after my move to an FX-sized sensor.

I'm falling in love with the 24mm f/1.4G's field-of-view (as compared with the DX, though 36mm is a great focal length as well). However, I know it won't be long before I miss ultra-wides. The Nikon 10-24mm was probably the most utilized lens in my DX setup, and it will need replacing soon.

For Memorial Day weekend, I'm renting both the 14-24mm and the 16-35mm VR to see which I prefer. There are a lot of considerations: weight, VR or not, faster aperture or not, and also the ability to use filters.

I know a lot of these questions will be answered when I've got the two lenses in my hands, but I'm curious to know what everyone's opinions are on comparing the two lenses.

Is the extra weight of the 14-24mm a drag? I'm not necessarily concerned about not using filters. 16-35mm seems like an awesome walk-around range, while 14-24mm seems much less so. But f/2.8 freezes motion better than f/4 even with VR. What are your experiences like?

JoshRtek's gear list:JoshRtek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow