Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
dj0502
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Just a thought: Nex camera with retro design
In reply to GaryW, May 15, 2012

GaryW wrote:

dj0502 wrote:

I admire the ergonomics that went into the design of the NEX-7. It's just that you will always see other people complaining about the design and why it doesn't have retro look like the X-Pro, and the Olympus OMD and E-P3 and with Sony not having a camera roots..

Just a thought, since Sony have the Minolta heritage in them (at least), do you think ...

I'm with the "retro is a gimmick" crowd. Having said that, I'm not against using good ideas from the past, and labeled/dedicated dials may still be useful. Keep in mind that some cameras from the past didn't have everything perfect; I have at least one film camera where it's easy to reset the ISO to the wrong setting.

As far as examples of Minolta cameras, why not the more compact Maxxum?

But in the end, the SLR is the wrong example for something like the Nex. The rangefinder cameras are the precursor to the small modern camera, or should be. I don't want a "pentaprism hump". Looking at some of the "newer" rangefinders, there aren't a lot of settings. (For Minolta examples, look for "hi-matic".)
--
Gary W.

I don't reallly know the cameras of the past. Here is a quick search in bing.

TBH, they do not look ergonomically good.

dj0502's gear list:dj0502's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow