Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tominhk
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Can Canon Lens repair improve Lens IQ
May 15, 2012

Looking for some advice from any users experienced with lens repair/calibration from Canon.

I have a couple of old L lenses 28-70 f2.8L and 17-35 f2.8L I brought refurbished in 2000.

To be honest I was quite disappointed, expecting that L glass would be fantastic, however never felt either lens was very sharp, especially wide open, and compared to the cheap 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 primes I later purchased.

I use them on an old 20D body, with no micro-adjustment feature.

The 28-70mm has developed some fogging on an inner element, and will cost 160USD to check and repair by Canon.

A few questions to you knowledgeable folks:

Could Canon's calibration/repair service improve the IQ of the lens?

If I buy a 5D mk2 with the micro adjust feature, would that improve IQ?

I have read reports of people getting a bad copy of a lens, and exchanging for a better copy, is there anything that can be done to improve those, by somehow tuning them in the repair shop?

Of course it could be down to the original lens design itself....

Thanks,

Tom (Ps I plan to use Canon's service centre in Hong Kong if this makes any difference)

tominhk's gear list:tominhk's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD100 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Fujifilm FinePix 4800 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE G400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow