Third party lens companies afriad of E-Mount?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: E-mount lens designs are different, and new designs take time
In reply to ProfHankD, May 15, 2012

ProfHankD wrote:

That means compelling E-mount lenses need to take advantage of the E-mount -- e.g., to be smaller than adapted A-mounts. That implies new optical designs, which are expensive to develop... and the potential market is being created by just a single vendor.

Bingo.

Honestly I hope someone really gets inventive with it and takes a risk or two...but it's highly unlikely. By that I mean something non-standard - for example, something along the lines of Samsung's 20-50 kit lens, but high-grade, with a constant max. aperture, and the compromise in zoom range being devoted to keeping the size down and the IQ high. A 24-50 f/2.8 with fantastic IQ and about the same size or smaller as the 18-55 kit (very doable I think) would be great. I realize that doesn't sound all that exciting, but when I had my 5DII I took 80% of my shots with a Zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4. The small zoom range seemed off-putting initially, but any concerns went right out the window the first time I saw the absolutely incredible images the thing could produce.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow