Decisions: Nex5n or EP3

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be your take on gx1 vs nex 5n?
In reply to marubex, May 15, 2012

marubex wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread but felt silly to start another one. I am also pondering nex 5n but against panny newish sensor....

Actually, thanks for the consideration.

I think both DxOMark and DPR's own comparison tool tells the story well. Until the recent OM-D sensor, nothing in m43 has matched the performance of the better APS-C sensors, of which all current NEXs are equipped with. So from a sensor performance perspective, this one is pretty clear-cut.

Another more-or-less clear-cut aspect is that of sensor size. Most (if not the overwhelming majority) people consider a bigger sensor better for both the additional control over depth-of-field, and increased light-reception ability. The aspect subject to debate is the fact that a larger sensor requires a larger lens, all things being equal. The APS-C-equipped NEX requires lenses that are more-or-less similar to the size found on popular APS-C dSLRs. The GX1 can use the smaller m43 lenses.

Both cameras can utilize virtually every non-electronic lens in existence via adapters, but the effect on field-of-view is obviously different because of the different crop ratios. The GX1 currently has more native electronic lenses, at 23-or-so, while the NEX has 10 lenses + 2 converters (fisheye and UWA). The native lens catalogs of both systems are subject to grow in the upcoming years as mirrorless makes further inroads as mainstream cameras. Although we here in the NEX forums obviously think that the NEX has the better potential, which system will grow faster is totally up-in-the-air.

But the real question is: can you get the field-of-views and speeds you need, and how many total lenses will you need?

(Aside, I personally carry 5 native NEX lenses + 2 adapters in a small SLR slingbag, covering 10mm fisheye, 12mm UWA, 16mm, 19mm, 30mm, 18-55mm, and 55-210mm. And then there is a 135mm legacy prime + adapter.)

The GX1 has a built-in flash and a standard hotshoe. The 5N is provided with an unobtrusive attachable flash (that I almost never use, YMMV) for a proprietary connector. Both cameras can be equipped with an EVF, and for both cameras it takes up the place where an attachable flash would otherwise go. The 5N's EVF features a higher-resolution and is very well-regarded.

Both cameras utilize OIS. All the native NEX lenses that benefit significantly from OIS (longer FLs) are equipped with it. m43 lenses are bifurcated in that Olympus lenses, even though mount-compatible, do not feature OIS (as they are designed for the IBIS that Olympus employs). But as my post prior said, while image stabilization is nice to have, it is actually only useful for a relatively narrow spectrum of shooting applications.

Given my choice in equipment, I think it is obvious what I've decided is better for my needs.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow