Former Micro 4/3 skeptic, E-M5 changes all that

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 677
Like?
Re: Former Micro 4/3 skeptic, E-M5 changes all that
In reply to TonyJuliano, May 15, 2012

I am pretty much in the same boat. I still keep (most of) my Canon gear but now I have the E-M5 after checking out the Fuji and Sony (and very short the Canon) to compliment it for street and travel.

• The Fuji drove me nuts with its AF and handling/firmware quirks just like the X100 did before. The high praised hybrid viewfinder tries to be both but fails equally to be a good rangefinder or a good EVF and ends up as a weird mix. Finally I have no legacy lenses to put on it. This cameras from Fuji are just not for me.

• The Nex-7 fails when it comes to lens selection. Rangefinder lenses up to 50mm seem to struggle a lot on it (other than on the Nex-5N), most old DSLR lenses I have access to were not good enough for the sensor and the Sony lenses are not worth to mention except for the expensive 24mm and the somehow too short 50mm. Indeed I prefer the Nex-7 design pretty much over the E-M5, especially with some Zeiss or Leica adapted on it. Too bad that they do not work well together...

• Canon: What do I need an expensive, big and clunky camera with a big sensor for if it does not allow more creative photography with its slow lens than an LX-5?

The E-M5 might not be totally up to the image quality of the Fuji or a Nex-5N (had too much trouble finding a lens setup making perfect use of the Nex-7 and ISO > 400 is not better anyway) but it allows an easy approach to taking pictures and with its light, small, fast lenses, qick AF, touchscreen and stabilisation it delivers every time I use it on the streets.

Really a pretty sweet addition to a Canon setup.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow