Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,151
Like?
The plateau, but still some rolling hills ahead
In reply to Darrell Spreen, May 14, 2012

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore.

I would be posting more and commenting more, but I look for threads where people are more committed to working with one model camera/lens and showing what they can do with it (I find I learn more from that type of post) and I don't see that anymore. Everyone seems to be switching cameras right now. I don't even know what camera(s) you are using these days.

Fact is, I see just as many bothersome IQ characteristics in most of the new cameras as I see improvements -- maybe I'm just becoming immune to the "latest & greatest".

Might come back to my theme that camera development is on a plateau.

You don't hear much about compact cameras with ever increasing megapixels theses days. You don't hear about ever increasing megazoom bridge cameras. The dslr cameras are seemingly getting more megapixels and better high ISO, but that too must reach the practical limit.

Aps-c is probably the sensor size of the future being small enough to give reasonably small camera bodies and big enough to give increasingly better imaging.

There are things to improve and digital cameras will continue to improve but "annual obsolescence" is turning into "I think I might keep mine for a good few years".

Lasting cameras are the best investment and Ricoh is well placed to increase it's market by the ripple out effect. Those camera manufacturers who rely on huge market share have more of a problem as people start to keep their cameras for longer. Nevertheless there are a lot of people in lower-income economies whose incomes now predicate buying a digital camera or even an entry level dslr. Canon has obviously worked this out from what I have just seen.

Therefore the market limit has not reached saturation point but perhaps in some countries where toddlers are running around with Dad's once pride and joy there is s limit to just how many imaging devices can be sold.

Therefore you can't judge the world market for cameras by what is happening in your own backyard. However as I observe thing most people have the same idea of what they want from a camera and it has hardly changed from Box Brownie days - take some pictures at an event, share them around and relive the moments vicariously and then forget them. Point'n'shoot is the new Box Brownie and they have been good enough to do this for some time. 10 a penny at your local electronic goods store. And all you need do is press the shutter the camera does the rest.

So the professional photographer is called in for "serious images" as ever was before. And he needs a great big dslr to show the he has spent a truckload of money on his kit.

But hey! the professional moved to dslr years ago and a squeaky number of megapixel pro-level dslr was accepted just then, so how much better does anyone really need?

Surely it is only the sheer cost of his equipment that keeps a professional photographer "elite"? Consider that many good quality and semi-pro cameras today can out shoot and out-resolve the pro-dslr kit that was essential just a few years ago.

So yes, we are on some sort of plateau of digital camera development.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow