Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chaking
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
d7000 lots o' Dynamic Range is fun
May 14, 2012

So I went out camping last weekend and tried shooting some night skies - Very little experience with this previously so most of it was simply learning. Very fun. A lot of people on here are definitely aware of this, but in case it helps someone... Here's what I find to be very cool with the new(ish) Nikon/Sony sensors - The ability to pull detail out of shadows!

For example:
Here's a shot straight OOC, shot raw, converted to jpg in LR4:

Here's the same photo but with a +5 ev applied in LR:

Obviously there's a bunch of noise that will need to be dealt with, and most probably won't go all the way to +5, but I'm still impressed with what comes out of near total darkness. Very cool (to me anyway!)

Here's a couple shots from the night:

I noticed even with a 14 (21mm) focal length, 30 second exposures pushed the limit of keeping the stars from having trails. Looks like it'll probably need about 20s exposures and maybe a slight bump in ISO, or maybe open the aperture up just a bit more - have to see which one looks better.

Next up? Finding the visible parts of the Milky Way!! w00t

chaking's gear list:chaking's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow